Saturday, August 05, 2006

Jimmy Eat World -- "Bleed American"


From the album that brought you the huge radio hit "The Middle" comes the band Jimmy Eat World. I decided to try and give this album a chance, and as I started with the title track I was actually quite surprised, it was a really rockin' song and I thought, well maybe I was wrong about Jimmy Eat World, they might be a harder band then I thought. But then I got to the second song and it sounded a lot like the Middle. And sure enough, so did the rest of the album. The song which really killed the album for me though is called "Authority Song". Here's a sample of the lyrics sung to a high poppy voice, "It's how the hustle goes, see what the jukebox knows. Put my last quarter on, I play "Authority Song". Honesty or mystery? Tell me I'm not scared anymore. I got no secret purpose, I don't seem obvious do I? I don't seem obvious do I? The DJ never has it, J A M C Automatic. If those were Roy's headphones, you bet he'd play "What Goes On"."

Oh Gosh, this cd really just didn't do anything for me. It's a bunch of poppy songs that sound the same, and when I listen to a band, I need to be surprised once in a while. Though the first song actually did surprise me and I think I'll listen to it again, it was the only song that did so and can not save this album. I really don't recommend this one to anyone. I'm giving this one a whopping 1 out of 4 stars.

2 Comments:

Blogger Saule Cogneur said...

I think the band's older stuff is a lot better. But still, the CD never claimed to be that artistically experimental. It was made for the pop audience.

Just as sometimes I'm in the mood for a cheesy action movie or a fun chick flick, I think some pop CD's do have a place.

"If you don't, don't" is my favorite song on the track.

6:54 PM  
Blogger sky said...

didnt they change the name of the album? i heard it came out just after 9/11 and so it was kinda Ehhhhhhh about the name so they just changed it to "Jimmy Eat World". Maybe im wrong.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home