Friday, September 08, 2006

Electric Light Orchestra -- Out of the Blue


Electric Light Orchestra or ELO for short, is a band from the 70s that formed out of another band when the members wanted to have rock with more strings in it, so they created ELO to facilitate that. This album Out of the Blue is their 7th album and it has the most singles of any of their albums. Those singles are "Turn To Stone", "Sweet Talkin' Woman", "Its Over, "Mr. Blue Sky" and "Wild West Hero". ELO is one of those bands I heard a lot of as a teenager but didn't pick up any of their stuff until just recently, especially when I found out the strings thing, and I think strings should be in more rock music now a days. One of the funny things about this album is even the songs that aren't singles feel like singles.

I liked this album quite a bit, it was a good album all around, however it was very hard for me to make it through the entire album, plus I don't think I'll listen to it as much now, it doesn't really have much replayability. I'll recommend this album to those that really like classic rock. I think it may just be my growing dissatisfaction with classic rock as a whole, it just doesn't really have anything new for me. Now mind you this was a really good cd and I'm going to give it 3.5 stars out of 4, I'd move it up half a point if it was more replayable.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rachel Helps said...

Classical Strings + Classic Rock = classical fusion?

I agree that strings and cool electronica can greatly improve some of the potential monotony of rock. Although sometimes it's hard to replace that overdriven sound...

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home