Wednesday, August 02, 2006

k-os -- "Joyful Rebellion"



For those that have not heard of k-os you are in for a treat. I was very happy to have found this rapper. His stuff is described as jazz and raggae hip hop. He is also know for using lots of orchestra instruments in his songs. Some have compared him to Lauryn Hill due to his ability to harmonize and also the overall feel of his songs. His songs are very musically oriented, and have a lot of different ways they can go, k-os himself also plays the guitar and piano in many of his songs.

"Joyful Rebellion" which is k-os' second album capatalizes on what he was able to do in the first and improves just about everything. The tracks blend together so well and make it an overall masterpiece of music. As singles his songs work well too, from the Michael Jackson tribute "Man I Used to Be" to the ultra jazzy "Crabbuckit" and into the powerfully drive lyrics of "Love Song" he's able to amaze and show a side of hip hop that few have tread. This album came out in 2004, and I'd put it in my top 5 of that year if not my personal overall top 10. Obviously I'm giving it 4 out 4 stars, and I think everyone should give this one a chance as it may surprise you how much you like it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home