Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Iron and Wine -- Our Endless Numbered Days


Iron and Wine is the stage and recording name of solo artist Sam Bean. He uses a very light and airy sound. His music mostly consists of acoustic guitar, banjos and slide guitars, all of which he plays himself and overlays them on top of each other. His sound is very similar to Ben Harper and The John Butler Trio, and basically any solo acoustic guitarist. It just feels like it's been done so many times before that unless you have some cool version of it then you shouldn't do it anymore. This is a nice sleepy cd though, it's very airy as I said before, his voice, and his guitar has a very airy quality to it. I don't know how much I like it. I do like the song "Free Until They Cut Me Down", still much like the other stuff, but a little bit cooler. Probably if I comprehended words a little better, then I might like the lyrics, but I have a hard time with the airy sound figuring out what he's trying to say. I'm so much more intrenched in music that this kind of stuff eludes me.

This is an alright cd in my opinion, not much leaning good or bed, just alright. You'll like it if you like singer songwriters. Someone who actually comprehends lyrics should tell me how it is. Basically I just feel on the fence about this one, cause it's not bad, I just don't find anything extraordinary about it. 2.5 out of 4 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home