Monday, August 14, 2006

Soul Coughing -- "Irresistible Bliss"



Soul Coughing is an interesting band that I got into big in high school. This is their first cd I ever picked up of theirs, but it's actually their second album. The band didn't go on for too long as big differences in the band caused them to break up shortly after their third album came out. Which makes sense when you read up about it because M. Doughty, the front man was very controlling. Now though I was into this band in high school, it was mostly for the songs as they have some good singles but the other songs aren't all that great as is evident on this cd. The first song Super Bon Bon is awesome, as is Soundtrack to Mary and my personal favorite Disseminated. Besides that I don't really find much substance to the rest of the album. The music is pretty good as it's about the same as the other stuff, but the lyrics are just jibberish and nonsense. Or as in the case of "4 of 5" basic addition problems. They seem to have wanted to capatilize on the success and raw energy of their first album, but didn't quite do it right. On listening to it again, I have found there is one other song I really enjoy that I'd forgotten called "Collapse".

I'm not gonna recommend this one to anyone, as Soul Coughing is quite hard to get into, and if you did want to get into them I'd recommend a different album. I'm not as impressed with this album as I once was, but even then I wasn't all that impressed. I do like some of the songs quite a bit and for that and for it being one of my favorite bands back in high school I'm giving this album 2.5 stars out of 4.

1 Comments:

Blogger Yarjka said...

But, dang, those tracks that got radio play are excellent. So so good.

Incidentally, I was highly disappointed by Soul Coughing when I saw them live. That's why it took until last year for me to purchase this album, even though I knew I loved those songs.

12:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home