Thursday, August 03, 2006

Queens of the Stoneage -- "Songs For The Deaf"



I found out about Queens of the Stoneage about a year ago when I saw them do a song off of their album Lullabies to Paralyze with Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top. I downloaded some of their songs and then ended up getting Songs For The Deaf a short while later. Queens of the Stoneage are an interesting band and are defined quite well by their front man Josh Homme when he said, "...we wanted to create a heavy sound based on a solid jam, and just pound it into your head". Queens of the Stoneage are basically a hard rock band based on riffs. The quote really sums it up, in the first song they give you a small interlude into a riff that pounds into your head harder then you thought it would. They follow that up with a radio friendly hit in "No One Knows." It's funny but as I listen to this album, I like just about every song, and yet, I never go to pick up this cd as I think I don't like the songs. But overall I do like it.

The interesting thing about this album in particular is they got Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters to play the drums. Now as for recommendations, this is a hard rock album through and through, it's not particularly trying to go into any other genre. This band feels like a hard ZZ Top. So to those that like hard guitar riffs you'll like this album. To those that do like hard rock this is one of the better albums in the genre and I'd recommend it to them as well. But if you either don't like hard rock or haven't gotten into the genre yet, then start with a different album. Now though I do like a lot of the songs individually, it suffers when it comes to the album as a whole, because there's something that just doesn't feel right and that I think is the flow from one track to another. Overall, I do like this album but it's not quite universal and so I'm going to give it 3 out of 4 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home