Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Gorillaz -- Gorillaz


This, the self titled debut from the virtual band Gorillaz started by Blur front man Damon Albarn and comic book writer Jamie Hewlett, is a rock, electronica and hip hop hybrid that has grown very popular. This cd though not as popular as the second album did produce a couple of huge singles including "Clint Eastwood" and "Rock The House", the later being my favorite song on the album. This album feels a bit more like a Blur album then the Gorillaz but they do get their own sound by the second album. With that said if you like either Blur or the second album of the Gorillaz you will like this album. For the experimentalist in you, this is a good album to pick up, it has a lot of songs which try new things, such as the song 5/4 which is in 5/4 time also there are a lot of sounds that you won't find on any other album. Though there are some cool songs on the album and cool things the album doesn't have much staying power, I find myself drifting a lot during the album, and I never really think of listneing to the album. It has some memorable stuff but not much that makes me want to come back for more, with one exception being "Rock The House" which I listen to on a regular basis.

This one is worth picking up for the most part, especially if you already like Blur or The Gorillaz. This is a good album overall, but does lack in some areas. It doesn't have a high replay factor. 3 out of 4 stars.

1 Comments:

Blogger eleka nahmen said...

I loved Clint Eastwood, and I really enjoy their second album. It's got such a gritty, urban feel to it-so different from my educated, suburban, middle class white life.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home