Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Cake -- Comfort Eagle

Cake often times is too ordinary for me. They do a specific style and very rarely change their sound in any way. So if you like their sound it's great, but for me, I'm not a big fan of their sound and so it's hard for me to get into them. Among their style, they sometimes make really good songs, of which tend to be their radio hits and those tend to be the ones I end up liking. This seems to be the case with this album as well as there are only three songs in which I actually enjoy listening to and could possibly listen to again. The first two are the first two songs on the album "Opera Singer" and "Meanwhile, Rick James..." both of which excel at the formula in which Cake keeps themselves in, however my personal standout song on the album and by far and away my favorite Cake song of all time is the title track of the album Comfort Eagle. They switch up sounds in that one and give you a pulse pounding beat and what sounds like a really tight mandolin and put it together in a good catchy song. It's in all three of these songs that they stray from the usual sounds they tend to make and that's when I think they shine.

The thing about Cake is if you like their music then you should get all their albums. I think everyone should give a listen to the song Comfort Eagle but other then that if you don't like Cake just skip it all together. 1.5 out of 4 stars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home